Saturday 14 April 2012

M for Mantodea: Mantis





"Who am I to judge a warrior based on his size? I mean... look at me!"
—Mantis, Kung Fu Panda


Fun Facts:

1) The praying mantis belongs to the order Mantodea. Or as I prefer, the preying mantis.

2) They have an auditory organ on the thorax that detects a bats ecolocation allowing them to respond evasively and avoid capture. 

3) The preying mantis is exclusively predatory. It preys mostly on insects and any other species small enough to be successfully captured and devoured. This includes: small scorpions, lizards, frogs, birds, snakes, fish and even rodents.

4) Mating among mantids is complicated. And yes, I'm talking about sexual cannibalism, which is not that uncommon in nature. Being eaten by the female after/during copulation delivers vitamins and proteins to the future offspring and the male gets to pass on his genes*high 5*. However, in nature, this kind of cannibalistic mating in mantodea occurs less than 30% of the time. After a highly ritualized courtship display and dance, the majority of the males manage to simply bugger fly off.

Sexual cannibalism is more frequent under the stress of laboratory conditions where the males cannot escape, and/or if the female is hungry. But eating the head does cause the male to ejaculate faster (please don't ask me how they figured that out. :/ )
-------
The preying mantis is my second most favorite insect. So please, if you find one out and about, leave it alone. If it's in an unsafe place, you can pick it up and place it elsewhere without fear of getting your hands bitten off. I've handled them many times, even the hungry females, lol.

Below is a short description from my wip (~ 200 words, feel free to skip the wip.) The creature described was inspired by the preying mantis and cockroach. Please remember this is in rough draft form. It will go through many more edits in the not so distant future. Enjoy.

------


            “Charlie, please put me down. I’m hot and uncomfortable and my arms are starting to hurt. I promise I’ll come back and visit you tomorrow.” My voice was slightly patronizing but I was sincere. Much to my surprise, I was lowered gently to the ground. The green tentacles unraveled themselves from my arms and torso as Riona pushed through the vegetation to reach me.

            “Well, that certainly didn’t go off as well as I planned. Are you alright?” 

            “I’m fine,” I reassured her, rubbing the soreness out of my elbows and sides. 

            “Charlie come down here and apologize,” Riona ordered, looking back up into the canopy.

            I turned around. From the top of one of the giant plants, an odd looking creature came scurrying down. It had the  legs of a praying mantis and a large, flattened, oval body. It was covered with large waxy green and black leaves that resembled the scales of a reptile.  Four lesser green vines came out of what looked like the top of its head, each vine was several feet long and moved independently like antennae of a cockroach. Its head consisted of several fused, broad shaped leaves without obvious eyes or mouth.  My body tensed as it drew near. When it reached arm's lenght, the leaves of its head shifted and folded like origami, taking on the form of a human's head. It suddenly resembled mine.

-----

Interesting how aliens depected on tv resemble the head of a mantis....coincidence? I think not!

Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. oh dear lord, if I didn't like praying mantis before, I hate them know, LOL

    they sound like evil little things. I'm going to try to not have nightmares, now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Not the effect I was going for with this post. lol. The praying mantis is a wonderful creature, just misunderstood. You are brave though, stopping by my bug posts. Thanks (:

      Delete
  2. Saw my one and only mantis in Chico. It came flying hit the side of the building. Thud. Those things are big. But cute.
    stopping by from A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The females do tend to be big. (: Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Sexual cannibalism is my favourite type of cannibalism. I mean, if you're going to get eaten might as well go out with a bang.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great. They do look alike, huh? Too funny. Enjoy the the day off from A-Z. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moody: I couldn't agree more. XD

    Mina: Thanks Mina, enjoy your weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always though the praying mantis was so cool when I was a kid...and now that you mention it, it does look a little alien! Happy A-Z and thanks for coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and Happy A-Z to you too! (:

      Delete
  7. I'm not averse to the mantis, but it DOES appear to be icky as in creepy-fied & stealthy... know what I mean?
    Your WIP creature gave me the heebie-jeebies... the cockroach part of it... *shudders*... you know my cockroach phobia?
    Nevertheless, I WILL read the book when it's released... :)I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I needed a smile today. You don't have to promise to read my book, lol. I know it will not be everyone's cup of tea. But your support means a lot to me. (: So, when does YOUR book come out?

      Delete
    2. ... that m'dear, is the million-dollar-question... to which I have no answer... just yet...

      Delete
  8. Freaky excerpt!

    Well, we all know pregnant women need plenty of vitamins and protein and where better place to get that than from the dad?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Comments are the best. Well, the nice ones are. (:
I do my best to reply to everyone either via e-mail,
directly in the comment box or by leaving a comment
on your site. Chat with you soon!

Also, not interested in your spam. Really, I'm not interested.

J'écris, donc je suis (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...