Thursday 17 August 2017

How Writing is a lot like Hiking


I did it.

I survived all seven days.

Last week, I hiked the GR20 north in Corsica and it was by far one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. But I'm not going to lie, it was physically grueling, especially on my knees as well as emotionally taxing.

But, it was worth every single -

blister,
bead of sweat,
swollen ankle,
sore leg,
chapped lips,
swollen knee,
scraped shin,
sore back,
and sleepless night.



The landscape was breathless of course, but the best part of the trek by far, was sharing it with some of the most wonderful, kindhearted, generous, and inspiring individuals I’ve met in a long time. We were a group of thirteen hikers from all over France, and every single person was amazing in their own light.

During the hike I realized how similar writing can be to hiking. Standing at the base of a huge jagged granite mountain, it seemed impossible to ever reach the top. From where we stood, all the way at the bottom, we couldn't see the path to take, it all seemed so far from reach. But, we put one foot in front of the other, focused on one step at a time, and little by little we started to ascend. We didn't focus on the top, instead we simply focused on the few inches in front of our feet, making sure not to stumble, or trip, and alerted those behind us if there was an unstable rock, or outgrown root in the way.



Eventually, we got into a rhythm that was almost meditative. I started to forget the little things, the weight of my 17 lb pack on my back, the blisters on my feet, my sweat-soaked t-shirt, the person behind me, the person in front of me, I simply focused on securing the next step...and then the next..... until eventually, something amazing happened. I looked up and there we were, all of us at the very top of the mountain I once thought impossible to climb.


It's an amazing feeling and I'm so glad I made it through. It was important for me that my children, my daughter and son, see their mother doing something other than cooking, cleaning, and driving them around town. I needed them to see their mom, a woman, have a dream, plan for it, and succeed.


There is no grater satisfaction. 


In short, writing a book is hard, and sometimes it seems impossible. But, we want to write, we plan for it, and we take it one step at a time, one chapter at a time, one page at a time, one word at a time, until eventually, something amazing happens.... the book is done.

Anyway, I'll let my pictures tell the rest, I'll simply add that it was an incredible journey and I'm already planning the next. And, I'll never forget our guide, Agnès, she was terrific and a wealth of knowledge and I wish everyone many happy trails for the years to come.




































26 comments:

  1. One step at a time is what one must do with much in life. Congrats on making it to the top. Hopefully soon the achy knees stop. Sure looks like quite the sight too there to view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, wonderful achievement, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congrats on doing that! You're right, one step at a time and we'll reach the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are incredible. ^_^ I've never been hiking - seven days is quite the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much everyone, it was an amazing hike and I recommend walking/hiking to everyone who can. It's a great way to clear the mind, and get healthy and stay healthy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elise- I just had to look it all up ...did you do the whole thing ... Conza to Calenzana? Amazing ... absolutely breathtaking - congratulations ... must have been fabulous and wonderful to share with the family. I've never liked hiking or long-distance walking ... I was glad to learn there's a reason why - my hip was a birth defect. Absolutely staggering - well done and long may your knee heal, and those toes recover ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an achievement. Well done! Thank you for sharing. The pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazing! Looks like it was a dream just being in such a place. I can only the imagine the journey to getting there. It's all about the journey, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! And I totally agree that it is an awesome lesson for your kids to see you as something other than 'mom.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. What to go. The pictures are lovely. I admire you and I'm sure your children do also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a mountain climbed - in more ways than one.
    When mind, body and spirit converge, there is nothing we cannot do.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing achievement! It must have been surreal being up among the clouds, I hope you didn't get short of oxygen. If you did that, you can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done. I'm losing weight, but I haven't lost enough yet that I would tackle something like this hiking trip. However, it is a wonderful experience to unplug from life and cell phones and all that and just get to know and communicate with people. I feel like those kinds of connections are far more valuable than anything I experience on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy do I miss you. This is so inspiring! Congrats for making it to the top. I don't know how you did it with your knee! How wonderful that you did. Just...so flipping awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm better suited for the carpal tunnel and fat ass that comes with writing...but you go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for allowing us to share your adventure - minus the blisters etc!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where are you? Missing you - come back soon x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin jasa fotocopy 24 jam wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)
    1. Aqur Printing
    2. Pusat Cetak Yasin
    3. cetak buku menu
    4. cetak buku yasin
    5. cetak stiker jakarta
    6. Digital Printing 24 Jam
    7. Blog Remaja

    ReplyDelete
  19. You Have Nice Contents
    "Come to my website to view the contents of my website"
    ANGKASA BOLA - SITUS MAIN GAME ONLINE TERBESAR DI INDONESIA HANYA

    DENGAN 1 USER ID SUDAH BISA BERMAIN SEMUA GAME. Join US ! klik link di

    bawah ini ?
    --> Situs Judi Bola
    --> BANDAR SLOT
    --> Bonus New Member
    --> Berita Olahraga
    --> Prediksi Parlay Jitu

    Untuk Info Dan Bonus Menariknya Bisa Hubungi Kami Di Bawah Ini :
    Whatsapp : +855 96 826 9586

    DAFTAR DISINI : Dapatkan ID Hoki Disini

    Ayo buruann , mana tau kamu menjadi jutawan setelah bergabung dengan kami ..
    --> Group FB CURHAT PARLAY GRUP ANGKASA BOLA
    --> Instagram = INSTAGRAM ANGKASABOLA
    --> Pinterest = PINTEREST ANGKASABOLA

    #ANGKASABOLA #ANGKASABOLALOUNGE #LIGAANGKASA #VIPANGKASABOLA #AGENJUDIONLINE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Comments are the best. Well, the nice ones are. (:
I do my best to reply to everyone either via e-mail,
directly in the comment box or by leaving a comment
on your site. Chat with you soon!

Also, not interested in your spam. Really, I'm not interested.

J'écris, donc je suis (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...