Monday 11 January 2016

Passive Aggressive Texting With Jimmy Kimmel, K?

Hello!

I'm back! First off, I'd like to wish everyone a peaceful and splendid 2016 and I hope the holidays were good to all of you. I spent the holidays with family and things went generally well. Except, for the dishwasher crapping out on us a week before family arriving for the holidays. The estimates for repairs were comparable to the cost of a new machine (Insert slew of curse words HERE).  As you can imagine, buying a new dishwasher was not on my Christmas list. Nor was the computer we had to buy the month prior when the old one gave up the ghost. Apparently, was not on the 'good list' last year. So, in my attempts to start off the New Year on a positive note, I went to see Star Wars episode VII with my kids on Jan 1. I won't give away any spoilers, only that we enjoyed the hell out of the movie and look forward to seeing it again. 


Anyway, the following is a clip of Jimmy Kimmel explaining passive aggressive texting. It's pretty funny and I thought I'd pass it along for a bit of comic relief. When speaking face to face, we often use tone of voice, body language, and/or facial expressions as cues to identify passive aggressive speech or things like sarcasm. For example, the famous huff, hand on hip, followed by the eye-roll. In writing, sarcasm and passive aggressive subtext are more difficult to express simply because the visual cues we rely on have to be written in. Easier said than done.  However, if you properly flesh out your characters before hand, chances are your readers will automatically pick up on dialogue cast with sarcastic notes. And, a good sarcastic character is always a fun read. 


Enjoy the clip and have an awesome week. :) 


15 comments:

  1. Sorry about the dead dishwasher. They don't make appliances to last now.
    Will watch the clip now - Kimmel rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the dishwasher. Our washing machine has been making noise that makes me wonder how much long it'll last. This is especially disturbing because we bought the thing new not even a year ago.

    I love that Jimmy Kimmel clip. I don't watch his show often, but I did see that one. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to get a new dishwasher a few months ago. It doesn't work near as well as the last one did.
    My daughter tells me all the time not to use 'k' for a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha a great clip indeed. Yep and yup has quite the difference lol Ugg to everything crapping out. They say things happen in 3's, so one more thing may crap out, watch out lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! the dishwasher right after the computer! Sorry. This year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jimmy Kimmel!

    Hey, I had to purchase a new dryer for a tenant and I was completely not budgeted for it either! I feel your pain, truly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was perfect! I shared it after I stopped laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup. LOL

    Nothing says Merry Christmas like a new dishwasher. Not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother's mother-in-law is SOO passive aggressive. I kind of think it's funny (probably because I don't have to deal with it) but it annoys the heck out of him. I think there's a German word called schadenfreude that sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you again! Happy New Year :). I hope for 2016, your machines stop breaking on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our dishwasher seems to be dying, too. I suspect the oven. I have been wanting to replace our ugly, decrepit oven for years, but every time we get ready to do it, some other appliance mysteriously dies.

    Love Jimmy Kimmel! This was funny, especially the last line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Elise! Hope you get that dishwasher replaced or fixed soon.

    I agree, we writers have to either write in the subtext, or just establish a character well enough to make it obvious what their general tone would be in the context of the conversation they are having. Our job is just not as easy as people think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Elise - major irritations just before Christmas are not what one needs ... especially dishwasher fixes ... and before that computer fixes. Thank goodness I don't have a partner (sometimes it's a good thing!) and I don't have to worry about k sssss ... I even had to look it up!!!

    Happy New Year and here's to a good one ahead ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry about your Christmas 'surprises'. Hope there was still some holiday cheer. I agree with whoever upline that said it comes in threes. Watch out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Comments are the best. Well, the nice ones are. (:
I do my best to reply to everyone either via e-mail,
directly in the comment box or by leaving a comment
on your site. Chat with you soon!

Also, not interested in your spam. Really, I'm not interested.

J'écris, donc je suis (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...